Tuesday, February 14, 2006

Rolling in D'oh!

Now that the day is actually upon us, this advice (FREE!!!) is too late to be helpful for this year. Perhaps you can save it in an old coffee can and pull it out for next year.

My custom for a number of years has been to splurge and buy Mrs. A a large box of Godiva truffles for Valentine's Day. I think the first year, the box cost about $35. That should give you some indication of how long ago the tradition started.

Last week, Mrs. A told me, in plain, simple English, using short words, that she was trying to be "good" on her Atkins diet and was also sensitive to the current state of our finances (we're not exactly poor or broke, but we're not like sailors home on a one-week shore leave either) and so, I should NOT buy her a big box of Godiva truffles this year.

Now, fellas, I KNOW that when a woman tells you something like this, you're not SUPPOSED to believe it, but doggone it, she LOOKED all sincere and truthful and even said she that she really, REALLY meant it.

So, Sunday afternoon, knowing I hadn't gone out and sourced said box o' chocs, I decided I'd better test the waters while I still had time. Call it a hunch.

"So, I just wanted you to know that I haven't gone out and bought any Godiva truffles."

"Oh sure. NOW you decide to listen to me!?!"

...

...

...

Ah. I see.

Having thusly lowered my sweeties expectations while putting myself in the same phylum as streptococcus bacillus, I did manage to pull off a minor redemption this morning by producing two moderately sized packages of Harry & David truffles to include with her card.

Friends...

I beg of you to learn from my story. DON'T LET THIS HAPPEN TO YOU!

You're sweetie may not be as long-suffering (and I mean that literally) as mine.

  • |