Monday, January 30, 2006

A recipe for fun

Wow!!! Not only did the Missus and I get to spend a lovely evening chatting-up the completely un-Grouchy Old Yorkie Lady, but we also got to meet NicktheMarine®. Let me tell you, he was about as nice as you could ever want, but I think we should all give thanks that he’s on our side, if you know what I mean. And if you want to know a secret, I’ll tell you. NicktheMarine® and the GOYL are still in love…you can tell by watching them.

Anyway, we were meeting them at Outback at 6:30 Saturday night, so Mrs. A and I piled in the car and left the house in plenty of time. Good thing too, since we ran into a BUNCH of traffic. And I got reminded why I should never have chosen the route I took. To which, I had to agree. And then I was trying to figure out which lane I needed to change freeways (some are move left to go right and right to go left and some are right to go right and left to go left), and about the time I decided I needed the left lane, I was instructed to keep in the right. Dinged if she wasn’t right AGAIN. I hate it when that happens. (Not really, but I like to pretend like I have a fragile male ego sometimes just to keep up appearances) We made it in plenty of time. In fact, we were a half hour early, but that was my plan all along. You see, I KNOW how busy Outback gets on a Saturday night, so I figured we’d get there and get our name on the list so that when the GOYL and NicktheMarine® arrived, we wouldn’t have so long to wait. It was a good plan, and for once, it worked the way it was supposed to.

I did try to call the GOYL to let her know that the directions I’d sent here were slightly off, but some strange woman (i.e. NOT the GOYL) answered the phone and told me to shove off. (She really didn’t say it like that, but I DO like to dramatize) So I went to the backup plan and called NicktheMarine®. I left a message telling him that the restaurant was actually on the OTHER side of the freeway from what I’d indicated and about the time I hung up I realized that I really didn’t need to call. I mean, there is the big, lit, pole sign out front that you can see from a mile away. Seeing as how they have managed to make it to adulthood without my assistance, they could probably figure out that, indeed, the restaurant wasn’t where I told them it would be. ::sigh:: Oh, well. At least they won’t have to WONDER if I’m a big goober.

On a side note, I never cease to be amazed and amused by the number of folks who walk up to a popular restaurant at the prime dinner hour and expect to be immediately seated. Good thing I left my clue bat in the car.

Just as I was fritzing with the camera so I’d be ready when the GOYL and NicktheMarine® arrived, they arrived. And, of course, I was oblivious to this until they were right there by me. We stood and chatted for about 15 minutes, getting acquainted with NicktheMarine® and catching up with the GOYL. NicktheMarine® said he’d speed up the seating process by going to find the facilities. The GOYL asserted as how this was true because every time he went to the boy’s room, the buzzer went off and he’d always have to track them down to the table where they were seated. Sure enough, about 15 seconds after NicktheMarine® went inside, the buzzer went off. We did keep an eye open for his return and managed to wave him over to the table without too much difficulty.

I reminded the GOYL of our last outing where we were too busy gabbing to actually look at the menus, and so this time, we spent a few minutes deciding what we wanted before we got lost in the conversation. And, with it being Outback and all, what would dinner be without one of these?
Image hosted by Photobucket.com

Though NicktheMarine® is fond of these, too.
Image hosted by Photobucket.com

I apologize for the poor quality of the food pictures, but … well, you know … I’m a dork and didn’t use the flash. Salads all around. I had the Caesar, Mrs. A and NicktheMarine® had the house, and the GOYL had a chopped lettuce/blue cheese thing that she seemed to enjoy. I didn’t get pictures of the salads or dinner because a) we were busy talking and having a good time and b) once the food starts showing up it’s like a train going downhill. Who has time to stop and take pictures? I will tell you that the GOYL and Mrs. A had the prime rib (with the GOYL specifying the end cut. Mmmmmm!) and NicktheMarine® and I both ordered the NY strip (steak that is). Mrs. A and I went with the loaded baked potato and the other side of the table went healthy with the steamed veggies. I guess that’s ok, if you like that sort of thing…

Then it was time for dessert. Our waitress, Holly,
Image hosted by Photobucket.com

brought out two plates like this (though only one had ice cream).
Image hosted by Photobucket.com

It was nasty, but SOMEhow I managed to choke down four layers of chocolate cake with three quarters of an inch of icing on top. The things I suffer through to be social…

Anyway, I’ll leave you with some of the group shots.
Image hosted by Photobucket.com
Image hosted by Photobucket.com
Image hosted by Photobucket.com
Image hosted by Photobucket.com

We had a blast and can’t wait for the next time the GOYL comes to town. And we hope she brings NicktheMarine® with her.

You’ll be hard pressed to find two finer people in this big wide world.

  • |