Wednesday, January 04, 2006

Color me not amused

Rant warning.

I saw something on the way to work this morning that, the more I think about it, the more irritated I get. A truck passed me (like they all do) and on the back was a bumper sticker which said:

Bush Bin Lyin

The whole 'Bush Lied' lie rankles me, but I'm used to that by now. What really chaps me is that it's no longer enough just to say it, but now it's being said in a way that compares Bush to Bin Laden in the process. The moral equivalency of making such a statement just makes me fume.

I've no doubt that someone thought they were being clever when they designed and produced this bumper sticker. The echo-chamber of their friends and associates confirmed it in their minds. And the fact that there are folks willing to buy this sticker and drive around with it prominently displayed just solidifies my belief in the natural depravity of Man.

The irony is that the owner of the truck is probably one of those folks who's concerned about the destruction of civil liberties and the crushing of dissent.

I don't know about you, but I think we could stand a little more civil in our civil liberties. It's no wonder the left and right talk less and less.

  • |