Thursday, December 22, 2005

Pesky whippersnappers!

I don’t know when it began, but it’s been happening for some time now. Slowly, but surely I’m turning into an Old Fart®. My latest realization of this transition has been on the daily commute.

I drive 16 miles to work. The first 5 are city streets and the rest is freeway with a speed limit of 60. There was a time, not so long ago, when I would have seen the 60 MPH limit as more of a guideline, maybe a governmental attempt at humor. “Go with the flow” has been my typical excuse to ignore the speed limit signs. “I’m just keeping up with traffic.” I don’t know why, but getting there fast just isn’t as important to me these days.

I’ve discovered myself, in the far right hand lane – thank you, driving along at 60 MPH, contented to let the rest of the world pass me by. And believe me, they do. And for some reason, I no longer care.

What’s next, socks with sandals?

  • |