Wednesday, October 05, 2005

The reticent Aardvark

For whatever reason (who can know?) the Youngest Aardvark Child was not very talkative this morning. Which, naturally prompts me to be even more ridiculous than usual (a scary thought) to get some type of response.

Hold that thought.

The YAC is not known for her generousity or her willingness to freely share. Even though it's my money that funds the grocery purchases, she feels the need to warn people off from "her" cereal and "her" Pop-Tarts and "her" potato chips. A couple of weeks ago she made an edible model of an ameoba for her biology class out of about a 12" round chocolate chip cookie. Different candies and blobs of icing made the parts of the ameoba. She brought the left-overs home and promptly declared them off-limits to anyone but her. I commented at the time that that didn't seem very generous of her. She stubbornly insisted no one else could have any. Ten days later, we threw about half of what she had brought home away because it had become dry and stale.

Hold that thought.

My oldest brother likes to play around with words. At his house, you will never be offered any sugar wafers after dinner. Instead, he'll ask if you'd like some "sawdust" cookies. Which is appropriate if you think about it. Anyway, sawdust cookies happen to be one of my favorites (SUGAR RUSH!!!!) and coincidently are much liked by the YAC.

Hold that thought.

I came home last night and noticed that, on top of the microwave, there was not one but TWO packages of sawdust cookies, chocolate and strawberry. Mrs. A told me, "I've already had to warn your daughter off. I told her they were YOUR sawdust cookies." SWEET! (literally) I made sure to let the YAC know that, given her penchant for selfishly hoarding her goodies, I didn't plan on sharing MY cookies with her. (Really, I have no intention of NOT sharing them, but she doesn't need to know that.)

Hold that thought.

Okay, now gather all those held thoughts together. We're back in the car this morning on the way to school. Nothing I've tried has gotten a verbal response from the YAC. Out of the blue, I say (dramatically, of course), "Okay, okay! You can HAVE some sawdust cookies!"

The dam burst with a giggle.

  • |