Tuesday, September 20, 2005

Well...that wasn't EXACTLY what I had in mind...

But it did serve as, what I hope to be, a useful object lesson on how to deal with difficulties.

I suppose it could be said that the Youngest Aardvark Child has some anger management issues. Mostly that she manages to be angry. A lot.

And for the past several weeks, we've been regaled every day about how everyone at school has made her mad. And what she said. And what they said. And what she said back. And...well, you get the picture.

So this morning I had planned on talking to her a little (little doses given frequently are more easily absorbed than BIG doses given all at once. The big one's just seem to bounce off her thick skull) about her anger and the negativity it brings. I didn't exactly know how I was going to bring the subject up, but I'm pretty good at winging it and creating opportunities.

This morning was garbage day and so it meant THREE trips to the curb and back: Yard cart, Recycle cart and Garbage cart. Which meant six trips past my car parked at the end of the driveway. It wasn't until about five minutes later, when I went out to take the YAC to school, that I noticed something was amiss. As in "Where's my back windshield?" amiss. Oh, not to worry. There it is. In the back seat. In little pieces.

Wait...

That's not right, is it?

Did this make me mad? Oh, you bet. Am I still mad? No. Disgusted, sure, but not mad. Which made a great object lesson for the YAC about how it's okay to GET mad when something bad happens, but you shouldn't let that anger control you the rest of the day. Staying mad at the stupid, cretinous, butt-faced, flaming goat kissers people that broke my rear windshield wouldn't make it any less broken. When anger controls us, it dictates who we are. Stay angry often enough and that is what people come to expect and that's how they treat us.

"You don't want to be known as 'Angry Girl', do you?"

"No."

"Then you have to look for something positive after you get mad," I said.

"Like what?"

"Well, I won't have to clean that back window now, will I?"

Giggle.

"I'm not going to let that broken window dictate my whole day. Was it bad? Sure. Did I get mad? Sure. But I've already decided to put it behind me and not dwell on it for the rest of the day. See how that works?"

(Next time, Lord, couldn't I just talk about getting mad when your team loses?)

Well. I gotta go. Time to call the glass company.

  • |