Friday, September 09, 2005

Friday Night Follies - Finale


I should have known that the folks at Griff's were just the warm-up act. The real treat was waiting for me at the stadium.

Right inside the gate, there was a table set up to recruit alumni for the Fall Musical. This is the 50th musical and so the theater teacher thought it would be cool to have folks from as many of the past musicals as possible participate in this one.

Naturally, I signed up. Technically, I'm not a school alumni, but I am a MUSICAL alumni. They may use me as the narrator (the part must call for an old, fat, white guy). Or not. We'll see.

We got to our usual seats around the 40 yard line, on the band side of the field of course. The stadium is general seating except for the section between the 40 yard lines. This section is reserved seating (football parents buy these tickets for the most part) and is separated from the other seating by a metal rail. I like to use this rail as part of my buffer zone and so I usually sit about 1 to 2 seats away from it. Which pretty well guarantees that it will stay empty (well, that and the habanero sauce I had for dinner) unless it's homecoming, when the stands are full.

As luck would have it, this is also the approximate usual location of another family. Nice enough folks, I guess, but not blessed with an overabundance of brain power, if you get my drift. The son (we'll call him Truck) graduated a couple of years ago. He was on the football team, but wasn't a starter. His main job was to walk the sidelines yelling, "Ooooohhhhh, yeeeeeaaaaaahhhh!", a duty which he performed admirably. Even when it was inappropriate.

Now he's back, but in the stands. He only lets out an "Ooooohhhhh, yeeeeeaaaaaahhhh!" occasionally, thankfully. Last week's game, being the first one of the season, revealed that this year we should expect him to attend with a larger group of extended family. I think his cousin plays in the band. So, instead of just having him (and his mother and sister) on one side to deal with, we also had an aunt and uncle and some cousins sitting behind us. Lovely.

As in years past, these folks had their usual trouble following the game. They are the prototypical "homers". Our team can do no wrong and anything negative that happens is never the result of our poor play, but MUST be the result of the other team "cheating" or the referees not calling penalties. And they have no trouble whatsoever vocalizing this opinion. Loudly.

I'm just glad we don't serve alcohol.

The team we were playing is a 4A school. We're a 3A. That means they have a larger school. And more money for things like uniforms, drill teams, coaches, etc. We hung close until the kickoff. They had the ball first and called a real razzle-dazzler on the first play from scrimmage: a run up the middle off the left tackle. Yessir, a real tricky play. At least it fooled our boys. Nine seconds and sixty yards later it was 6-0.

By halftime, we had manage to close the gap to 35-0. Final score 48-7. On a more positive note, the band marched for the first time at half-time. Unlike prior years, where I was looking at the formations, trying to keep an eye on the Eldest Aardvark Child, I had a much easier time of it. The Youngest Aardvark Child plays the marimba in "the pit". Which basically means they stand in one place on the sidelines the entire time.

There was a little excitement afterwards, which meant we got to go home early. This week is Homecoming and the EAC will be there, so I expect it will be significantly later by the time we get home.

It will take quite a bit to top last week's experience, though.

  • |