Tuesday, August 23, 2005

Inauspicious beginnings

Today looks like it's shaping up to be one of THOSE days.

First off, let me admit that I sometimes do things that could be considered counter-productive. It's shocking, I know, but true. This usually is most obvious in the area of time-management. So, last night, Mrs. A is watching the news and I'm at the computer playing a game of Chuzzle. About 9:30, I lose the game I'm playing and decide I still have time for one more before going to bed. This is mistake #1.

As it turns out, I'm pretty good at it. 10:30 comes around and I notice Mrs. A has turned off the TV and has headed for bed. Oh well, I think, I'm going to lose any time now. I'll just play a little bit longer. Mistake #2.

Unfortunately, not only am I pretty good at Chuzzle, I also had an incredible lucky streak going. I finish level 12. Hey, I've never been this far! Level 13. Level 14. The next time I look up it's 11:30. Oh my gosh! I need to stop this and go to bed. My eyes move from the clock back to the monitor. Hey! There's a good move! Mistake #3. I'm sucked in for another level. In some remotely OCD way, I am incapable of stopping a level once I make the first move. (Yes, I am a 14 year old trapped in an adult's body)

Finally, a little after midnight, I do the unthinkable. I just finished Level 17 with a score around 760,000 and have yet to make a move on Level 18, when I discover the red "X" in the upper right corner of the window. Hey, when did they put that there?

So, technically my day started with me going to bed. Which meant I got up late this morning dragging my tail. Mrs. A took the YAC to school, so I had a little extra time to get ready. Wrote out a bill that I could drop in the big blue mailbox I drive right by on the way to work. Which, even after remembering I needed to be in THAT lane over there instead of my normal one, I was off in la-la land when the time came and drove right past the mailbox.

Yep. It's going to be one of THOSE days, alright. And with no one to blame but me.

  • |