Tuesday, August 16, 2005

Age and craftiness win again

Teenagers.

You know the look. First thing in the morning. The glazed-over eyes. The slack jaw. The "don't talk to me I'm not awake" attitude. Oh, wait. That's me.

But this morning it was also the YAC.

Our orbits didn't much intersect this morning until it was time to go. Then she loads up with all her gear (backpack, binders, purse, lunchbox, etc.) and heads for the car.

"You can put some of that stuff in the back seat," I say as she continues to put everything on the floorboard of the front seat. "Or, you can just cram it all down there and sit all scrunched up with no leg room. Makes no difference to me."

Then I proceed to do to the YAC what I did to the EAC when I drove her to school the last four years...pester her with silliness.

After a very brief round 1, I'm hit with a, "Dad. I'm in a bad mood and I'm cold."

"Well, I can fix one right now," I say as I cut the AC, "and I'll work on the other one the rest of the way."

"Daaaaad."

Oooh. That sounded like a challenge. Better step it up a notch.

I don't know if it's the cold medication or what, but I've been somewhat manic the last two days. (Picture a fat Basil Fawlty) Anyway, it was no problem to deliver my "A" game this morning. Needless to say (but I'm going to say it anyway, duh), she wore a smile the rest of the way to school.

I have a secret weapon that works on her every time...it's called attention. Pure, undivided attention. She craves it as much as the rest of us. And she was soaking it up this morning even as she protested at my pestering.

When I dropped her off at the band hall, I had to remind her, "Remember sweetie, you're in a bad mood."

  • |