Saturday, April 09, 2005

Who are you???

I really want to know!

Wow. Has it really been over three weeks since I last posted? It's almost been that long since I've read anybody elses blog. What's really more shocking is that I haven't been going through withdrawals or anything, and I was sure I would. Either I'm more stable than I suspected or I've gone completely over the edge. I'll let the reader decide.

Let me see if I can put the last three weeks into a few sentences...the short version goes something like this:

3 Weeks ago - I'm leaving and I have a ton of stuff to finish...AAAAAHHHHH!!!!!

2 Weeks ago - I started my new job and don't know anything...AAAAAHHHHH!!!!!

Last week - New industry, new software, problems everywhere and nothing is documented...AAAAAHHHHH!!!!!

The longer version is...well, LONGER.

I had a good two week exit experience with my previous employer. We parted on good terms and should I ever need to look for a job, I told them I would look there first, and from every indication I received (and have been receiving), they would be glad to have me back. Of course, I left at a bad time for them...but pick any day in the last year or the next year and it would have been a bad time and they know it, so they aren't holding that against me. My last two weeks were chock full of "I need you to finish 'X' before you go" moments. I got most everything done, but didn't have a whole lot of time left to do any detailed training on what I did. Which was ok, because no one else had time to be trained. Fortunately, I left most things in pretty good shape and anybody who can think (which is a subset of most companies) should be able to follow what I did and at least duplicate it...and they know how to get in touch with me should the need arise. I did find it ironic that several precious hours of my last week were spent in meetings talking about what I needed to complete before I left. The first meeting was important because it got everyone on the same page (of the same book no less!). The subsequent meetings just chewed through time I could have spent COMPLETING things...sigh. Anyway, my stress level fell dramatically the moment I left. Go figure.

My NEW job is interesting...for a variety of reasons. One is that I went from the insurance industry to the food service industry, which surprisingly enough dovetails nicely with my retail industry background. It's like slipping on an old pair of jeans and finding they still fit. Another is that I'm working for an old buddy of mine. I realized the other day that I've known him for close to 20 years. Man, I'm old. Prior to now, we'd always been coworkers so it's a little different working for him, but not significantly. I called him up as I was driving to work that first Monday and told him I wasn't coming. Of course, he knew better, but I just wanted to hear him sputter a little. Oh, yeah, this is going to be fun. And then there's that drive to work...it's 15 miles ROUND TRIP to my new job. It takes me 12 minutes to get there. SWEET!!! I'm close enough I can even go home for lunch if I want to! And I drove to work all week and still have 3/4 of a tank of gas left!!!! I'm saving $60 (or more) a month in gas.

Well, I'm going to cut it off here and pick it up later, 'cause the Youngest Aardvark Child just got up to watch her cartoons. (Funny that she can get herself up at 6:30 on Saturday but not Sunday. Well, no. It's not really funny at all, come to think of it.) Anyway, I'll try to be a little more regular with my posting, but my new job does not lend itself to daytime internet usage, and even if it did I don't have time. Sometimes being an adult is really dull.

  • |