Monday, March 14, 2005

Ch-ch-ch-changes

A couple of weeks back, I finally got to have dinner with the Big Dog.

You may recall that when this boy’s-night-out was first scheduled, I had to cancel at the last minute in order to take Mrs. A to the Stubbs exhibit at the Kimbell Art Museum. We rescheduled for the next week, but the Big Dog needed to back out of that one. Then I went to see my Dad. It was almost as if the timing wasn’t right or something. (And for the record, I don’t believe it was ‘or something’.)

So, I finally meet up with the Big Dog and during dinner, he says to me, "What would it take to get you to come work for me?" I mention a number, thinking there was no way he could do it. "I’ll work on it," he says. A couple of days later he calls me. "I think we can meet your number. When can you come talk to us?" Which led to my super-secret errand. Which led to an offer letter. Which led to this morning.

I know that I’ve been working all sorts of crazy hours for a long time, but believe it or not, I do like what I do. (They tell me I’m good at it) And I work with some of the best people (with only a few exceptions) that I’ve ever met. And yet, this morning I found myself waiting outside my boss’ boss’ door (my boss is still out on maternity leave) with a letter of resignation in my hand.

My boss’ boss was very gracious in accepting my resignation and complementary of the work that I’ve performed for just under six years now. I’ve filed his reactions under "How to React With Class to Shocking News" for my future reference should the need arise. The rest of the day was a little weird as people heard the news. I got a lot of stunned looks and a lot of well wishes. (I told you I worked with good people) The most difficult thing of the day (after the initial resignation) was calling my boss at home and telling her. (I didn’t want her to hear it from someone else) All in all, she took it well, but it’s never a good thing to make your boss cry.

I’ve got a lot of loose ends to tie up and a lot of duties to pass off to whoever draws the short straw. It’s true what they say, there’s never a good time to leave. There’ll always be a million things left unfinished.

But I start my shiny, fully-warrantied, never-been-out-of-the-box, new job in TWO WEEKS!!!!!

So, what kind of job is it, you ask?

Well, let’s see…my background is heavy in retail, broken up by a short stint with a defense contractor, with the last six years in the insurance industry. So naturally, I’ll be working in the home office of a modest regional restaurant chain.

Let’s EAT!!!
a

  • |