Wednesday, February 23, 2005

Lord I'm one, Lord I'm two, Lord I'm three, Lord I'm four

I'm 500 miles away from home. At least I was this past weekend. (Glenn Campbell, anyone?? Anyone?? Right! Well, moving on...)

Haven't been to see my Dad for quite some time (something related to eating regularly has gotten in the way. And I do like to eat regularly), but I finally was able to pick the lock on the ankle fetter attached to my desk and managed to slip away for an extended weekend. My Dad is still plugging away and his condition has not changed dramatically since the last time I was there.

One thing that DID change is that he now takes his pain meds the way they're SUPPOSED to be taken, instead of waiting until the pain gets too bad for him to tolerate. This is the man who until a year ago took a "pain pill" (Advil, aspirin or Tylenol - which I guess is technically correct, but not the Demerol, Darvocet, Tylenol III or Percodan that typically come to mind when you say those words) about once a year if it was a particularly bad year - and then only one pill, not two (or three or four like some folks have to). Now he has the real deal for pain meds and has decided it's a GOOD thing to take them as prescribed. And they say old dogs can't learn new tricks.

He still hasn't learned to play UNO, though. Oh, don't get me wrong, he CLAIMS to know how to play, but I always have to give him a refresher "lesson" or two when I'm there. Of course, HE'LL claim that HE'S the one giving me lessons...

The last time I was there, they had modernized their entertainment center to include a DVD player. The old TV remote was on its last legs and so a trip to Wal-Mart later we had a new remote that would run the TV, VCR and the DVD!!!! (What'll they think of next!?!) I had to show him which buttons to push and in which order, but he didn't have too much trouble 'cause the new remote was layed out very similar to the old one. He did like the fact that he could run everything without digging out another remote.

One of the DVDs we watched had a bunch of old Beverly Hillbilly's episodes. Let's just say that I was particularly amused by this episode which has a secondary story line featuring the celebration of Possum Day, complete with a Possum Day parade and possum jugglers (who could juggle three possums while a fourth sat on their head and waved an American flag).

I wonder if they celebrate that in Alabama? And if so, on what day? Hmmm...who could I ask?

Nope. Can't think of a single person.

'Cept maybe this guy, but what does HE know about possums?
a

  • |