Tuesday, August 31, 2004

Sigh

Plenty-big-heap-busy today.

On top of that, I just got off the phone with Mrs. A. She managed to get to the hospital early enough (5:30) this morning to catch the doctor on his rounds. Her Mom (hereafter referred to as "Mom" for the sake of clarity) has been in the hospital since Saturday and this is the first time she's actually been able to talk to the doctor. He confirmed what we already suspected - she won't be released until late in the week (at best) and will have to stay with someone while she recuperates. That would mean either Mrs. A's brother or us. Which really means us.

It's not that they'd be unwilling to do it, just that they both work and it would be more difficult for them to arrange things.

(Not to mention the years of bad blood/hurt feelings between Mom and her daughter-in-law...seems that SOMEone stole the affections of her boy, or something. Or nothing. It doesn't seem to make much difference. We just try to stay out of the cross-fire as much as possible. They could tell each other "good morning" and then spend the rest of the day wondering what the other one "meant" by that.)

Anyway, when Mom is released, she'll be coming to stay with us for an indefinite period. Mrs. A says she's still not coherent, and doesn't always know where she is or how long she's been there or why she's there. Other times she's fine. Mrs. A seemed to think that she wasn't too pleased to hear that she couldn't go home by herself.

When she comes to visit, we always give her our room since it has it's own bathroom and she isn't forced to get up at O:Dark-Thirty when the rest of the family begins to stir like she would sleeping somewhere else. As a result, she won't stay for more than just a couple of days at a time because she feels she's "inconveniencing" us. It doesn't matter that it's the best and most practical arrangement and we really don't mind a bit. She's a stubborn woman. I figure it's her loss if she doesn't want to accept our hospitality.

So what's she say when she learns that she'll be released to our house?

"Well, I guess you could stick me on an air mattress in the garage."

(The garage isn't. That is, it's been converted to a room. Second refrigerator, washer, dryer, bookshelves X 3, old computer, vacuum cleaner(s), folding tables, filing cabinet, sewing machine, knicks, knacks, knick-knacks, record collection, jigsaw puzzles X 100, etc. I think the last time we saw the floor of this room unencumbered was right before we moved in ten or eleven years ago.)

Did I mention that Mom can play the martyr?

I won't repeat my response to Mrs. A when I heard this. Let's just say it involves large quantities of used oats and hay.

Anyway, I cancelled my hotel reservations in Missouri since it looks like I'll be staying close to home until such time as Mrs. A can wrangle Mom up I-45. Now I just have to call and tell my Dad that I'm not coming.

Say, you wouldn't call for me, would ya?

No, I didn't think so.

  • |