Monday, August 30, 2004

JOLT!

You know that feeling you get when you see something or hear something that's totally unexpected? You're stunned for just that fraction of a second that it takes your brain to assimilate what's happened (or longer than that for some of us).

Happened to me Saturday morning.

I had gone to get my hair(s) cut. Mrs. A and I go to a small shop run by a husband and wife team. They're about eight years older than us, and I usually have a pretty good time teaming up with Steve (my barber) to pick on his wife Regina (Mrs. A's stylist). A couple of months ago, they moved the shop out of the storefront and into their home. They had to put in another door and a separate bathroom, and all that other code junk, but they're saving a ton of money on rent so I think the payback is pretty quick. Anyway, it's a very small space, just big enough for two chairs, which makes it easier to keep tabs on what's going on next to you.

Steve was working his usual magic on my overgrown, oversized head and Regina was working on a young lady who I estimate to be in her early twenties. She was there with her mother and their conversation was focused on wedding invitations that had been sent and how many RSVPs had been returned and where the reception was going to be and that sort of stuff. You know, the kind of stuff that makes guys eyes glaze over. I wasn't paying too much attention to the ladies as I like to keep track of where Steve has the scissors at any given moment, but I glanced over as this young lady had her hair dried and brushed out. I'm thinking she's about done and begin to talk to Steve about Solving The World's ProblemsĀ® and World PeaceĀ® when I take another glance at the chair next to me.

I know NOW that she was getting her hair highlighted and was wearing the appropriate headgear to perform such a process. However, I had a huge JOLT ("ZOT" as Grog would say) when I saw her with what looked to me like the same type of cap worn by the synchronized swimmers. All I could think of was that must be the headgear favored by the Space Cadets or maybe the Junior Birdmen. Either that or it was some kind of tribute to Weird Science.

Once I realized that there were a number of holes in the cap to pull strands of hair through, the real reason for the headgear became obvious. But by this point, I had become greatly amused at my earlier reaction (what can I say, I'm easily amused) and it was all I could do not to start laughing out loud. I managed to keep it bottled up, though, as I didn't want to have to explain my stupidity to the rest of the world.

So what do I do? I document it here for posterity. Don't ask me how, it's just different, that's all.

  • |