Thursday, August 26, 2004

I know it was only 24 hours

But yesterday sure seemed like a long day.

The meeting started at 8 AM and I was among the first to leave the dinner at 9:45 PM.

Surprisingly enough, the meeting was meaningful and worthwhile, not just a bunch of people sitting around who like to hear themselves talk. At no time was I tempted to end my misery by sticking a fork in my eye. I actually sat (reasonably) still and listened. Hey, there's a first time for everything.

Dinner was a bit much, though. There were about 40 of us around 4 large tables in the back room of the restaurant. Of the four, my table was the quietest. I'm not saying the group was loud and rowdy, but I've been to professional sporting events that were quieter. I guess I'm just too much of a fuddy-duddy, but I thought making paper airplanes out of the menus and throwing them around the room was juvenile and annoying. Which is deliciously ironic, I guess, coming from me.

Why, yes, they were serving alcohol! How ever did you guess?

I realized (again) while I was sitting there that I really am not cut out to run in the social circles where this type of event is common. Which probably means that I'll never make it beyond my current position.

And that's ok by me.

It was enlightening to realize that these people, with whom I am fairly compatible in a work setting, are at the opposite end of the spectrum socially. I think they were too ... busy ... to notice. I tell you, I really AM shy. Or maybe it's just a well developed sense of awkwardness in social settings. Or maybe an overdeveloped sense of self; never really feeling like I'm IN the group, other than geographically.

Well, that turned into a steaming pile of armchair psychology, now didn't it? Where was I? Oh, yeah.

Anyway, I finally got home and got to bed, but this morning seemed to get here awfully fast. It's Meet The Teacher night tonight, but I'm thinking that as soon as that's over, it's off to bed for me. Now, if I can just keep from falling asleep at my desk ...

(Not only is falling asleep at your desk a CLM - Career Limiting Move - but the drool will short out your keyboard)

  • |