Thursday, July 08, 2004

It's NEW and yet the same OLD thing!

Well, I doubt that anything I can come up with will match that marsupial goodness we've all come to know and love, but that never stopped me (shoot, or even slowed me down any) before, so here goes nothing.

Since SOMEone we know is down at the beach, singeing his delicate underbelly and playing melanoma roulette, Jim and I decided that the theme for this week's questions should be ... vacations! So, without further dissembling, I am proud to present the FOURTEENTH (I counted) installment of the

Possumblog Thursday Three®*
* Now with 100% less Possum!

1. Describe the BEST vacation you've ever taken, either as a child or as an adult, and tell us WHY it was so splendiferous.

2. Describe the WORST vacation you've even taken, either as a child or as an adult, and tell us WHY it stunk like a funky drunk monkey.

3. Describe the vacation you've always WISHED you could take, but for some reason, never have.

As always, you can either leave your answers in the comments, or answer them on your own blog and leave a link in the comments. Or I suppose if neither or those suits you, you can email me your answers and I'll append them below.






And now for my answers.

1. Describe the BEST vacation you've ever taken, either as a child or as an adult, and tell us WHY it was so splendiferous.

I think the best all around vacation I've ever taken was last year. My family has a bi-annual reunion, usually at my oldest brother's house. We are the furthest away and so usually get first shot at staying at his house. Last year, in order to get the cheapest fares possible, we flew to Portland (OR) from Oklahoma City, and had to leave on a Tuesday and get back on Monday. So I took the Monday and Tuesday of both weeks as vacation. Which meant vacation really started on the Friday night prior - over 11 days off! And since we didn't leave town until Tuesday (to drive the 3.5 hours to Oklahoma City), we acted like tourists in Fort Worth. We found Nemo, we visited ancient Egypt at the Kimbell (touring exhibit), we toured the Movie Studios at Las Colinas, we discovered pirates in the Caribbean. And we didn't cook a single meal at home.

When we got to my brother's house in Washington, we made a trip to the Oregon coast and visited Fort Clatsop (where Lewis and Clark wintered) and took an afternoon to visit OMSI and the planetarium. I took a day trip to Scio with my other brother and visited my Mom's grave. We watched movies, worked puzzles, played games and paid absolutely no attention to our diets. On Friday night, I was able to sneak away with Mrs. A to catch the opening night of Seabiscuit. We spent Monday in Vancouver (WA) with my best friend and his wife (and their new baby). All in all, the best extended time off I've ever had.

2. Describe the WORST vacation you've even taken, either as a child or as an adult, and tell us WHY it stunk like a funky drunk monkey.

The worst vacation was the one we took before the EAC was born to visit my folks in Missouri. It wasn't the vacation itself that was so bad, it was the fact that the last lunch we ate (at a restaurant, not at home) before we left gave me food poisoning. We left in the evening and drove the hour or so to Springfield and spent the night. Somewhere in the middle of the night I became very familiar with the bathroom. I'll bet we stopped at every McDonalds between Springfield and Fort Worth on the way home. When we got home and called the folks to let them know we made it, the first thing my Mom said was, "When did you get sick?" Needless to say, I don't remember anything else about that trip.

3. Describe the vacation you've always WISHED you could take, but for some reason, never have.

Taking the kids to Disneyworld. We have always gone to see relatives any time I have time off and have never really had a family vacation where that wasn't the case (which is why last year's was my favorite). Every year I think that "next year" will be the one where we can do something just for us. And when it gets time to plan, there either isn't enough money to do anything but stay with family or someone is getting married and so we're obligated, or some other reason why it just never works out. I haven't given up hope yet, though. Someday.

  • |