Friday, July 30, 2004

Edgukashunal TV

I don't normally turn on the TV in the morning.  But since my mother-in-law is visiting and we're sleeping on the hide-a-bed in the living room, the normal routines are thrown off anyway.

So, with Mrs. A hogging the computer playing Pharaoh (and kicking some serious Egyptian butt, I might add), I picked up the remote and flipped on the TV.  I mostly switched between the four local news programs.  I refuse to watch the weather if I can help it.  They take 10 minutes to tell you what should take 15 seconds.  I only want to know TWO things - Is it going to rain and will I need a jacket?  Everything else is just mind-numbing filler.  I just tune it out.  In fact, more often than not, when they're done I can't tell you a thing they said.  (Which is frustrating for those rare times I actually CARE what the weather report is.)

Once all four stations started their weather (and it's always at the same time ... grrr!) I flipped around the dial.  Wound up watching a little bit of Teletubbies on PBS.  It's like a train wreck, I HAVE to watch just to wonder why it ever was made in the first place.  This morning Dipsy and Laa-Laa were going for a walk.  I mentioned this to Mrs. A, who looked up from her game long enough to ask, "What's Po doing?"

All I said was, "They can't show that on TV."  And for some reason Mrs. A called me a sick man.  (Hmmm.  Go figure.)

Anyway, you know how TV stations have to offer a certain amount of "Educational" programming in order to keep their license?  The SOP is to claim all sorts of lame programs (usually cartoons) are "educational" and therefore meet this requirement.  So, right before I turn off the TV, this message appears (I may not have the EXACT words, but the gist is there)
The following program is designed to educate and inform teenagers from 9 to 13.
Wow, teenagers get younger every year, don't they?  Must be the new math.

  • |