Friday, May 07, 2004

When you least suspect ... POW!

I had lunch with my sweetie today. (Mrs. A not only allow this, she encourages it!)

I am going out of town to see my dad, leaving this afternoon and returning on Tuesday. I called the missus on Wednesday to see if she wanted to have lunch today, mentioning that the last time I made this trip we had lunch before I left and that, if she liked, we could eat at the same Chinese buffet as before.

So last night we're sitting on the sofa, and she gives me this sideways glance and says, "So, tell me again, why are we having lunch tomorrow. Is there something I need to be worried about?"

Huh? I'm thinking on the inside as I say, "Huh?"

"Well, I was just wondering what prompted this all of a sudden..."

"What prompted this is that I'm going out of town, and I just thought you might enjoy going to lunch together, and ... you know, spend some quality time together? I told you that when I called you, though, which is why I'm just a little confused."

"Oh. You did?"

"Yes."

"So where do you want to go?"

"I told you THAT too!"

And sensing my opportunity to reverse rolls (for a change), I throw down the gauntlet.

"Why don't you ever listen to me?" (ha ha ha ha ha .... I got her good, boy .... tee hee hee ... shoe's on the other foot for a change)

"Well, normally you never say anything worth listening to!"

(ha ha ha ha ha ... HEY!)

  • |