Friday, May 21, 2004

Swimming upstream

Sometimes I think I may be the only guy in the world who didn't go ga-ga over Shrek. Which puts me solidly in the "I won't go see Shrek 2" camp.

Why, you ask?

A couple of reasons.

If you had to describe Shrek in one word, what would it be? I think most people would say "funny".

I say "clever" and there's a big difference between the two.

Clever is ok, if it's the right flavor. I found Shrek to be clever, not in the "Heh - that was an interesting twist" kind of way, but more in the "Hey! Look at me. I'm being clever, I am!" kind of way.

And trust me when I say that I KNOW what the "Hey! Look at me" type of clever looks like.

...

...

Ahem.

Anyway, I thought the movie just worked too hard to be the "Best. Movie. Ever. Or at least better than Disney - those arrogant jerks. We'll show them, those sanctimonious prigs. Who do they think they are anyway. They're full of crap, that's what they are...and Michael Eisner, that @#$@#$..." The gigs at Disney came across more like nasty eye-gouging than good natured arm punching. Like it wasn't enough to merely mock them. They had to be body-slammed to the pavement in order to dance upon their bloody corpse.

Yes, I found much of the "humor" to be mean-spirited, why do you ask? But it was clever, I'll give them that.

Secondly, I thought the movie went way overboard with the bodily function gags and, if I recall correctly, sexual innuendo. You know, how did 'Toy Story' or 'Beauty and the Beast' manage to make it without having a fart joke or two thrown in? That's obviously what everybody wants in their cartoons. And don't forget to wipe with your favorite story-book when you're through.

Between the mean-spirited humor and the scatological humor, this was not the gentle kids movie aimed at a younger crowd that I expected to see (though that's how it was marketed), but a movie better suited for older kids and adults. I was appalled that there were three, four and five year olds in the theater. And then afterwards to realize that everyone else I talked to thought it was great ...

People still look at me funny when I tell them I didn't like it.

...

...

What are you looking at?

  • |