Wednesday, April 07, 2004

Putting the vanity in vanity plates

I don't have any bumper stickers on my car. For one, I just don't care for the look and for two, I'm from the "be careful what you ask for" school of thought. I particularly am not enthusiastic about attaching religiously themed bumper stickers to cars. "W.W.J.D" and "Christians aren't perfect, just forgiven" and "In case of rapture, this car will be unmanned" stickers are fine if the car is parked. But when it passes you at 90 miles an hour or cuts you off in traffic or doesn't stay in its lane, the uplifting sticker suddenly starts sending a completely different message. Kind of like the folks who put up graffiti saying "Jesus Saves". Vandalizing the bathroom walls is probably not a good way to spread the Good News. Know what I mean?

Anyway, so I'm driving in Oklahoma, (doing about 73 in a 70 MPH zone), when I'm passed by a late model BMW with vanity plates doing at least 90. So what's on the plates? "I TITHE" Well, that's just good to know, isn't it? I'm sure all those non-tithers he passed were motivated to start tithing immediately. I just wish I could've gotten his thoughts on Matthew 6:3 before he was out of sight.

  • |