Friday, January 02, 2004

Starting out right

Well, it is a comfort to know that I'm still as socially inept in 2004 as I was in 2003.

I was talking to a coworker this morning and for some reason my thoughts were extra jumpy. (Rabbits! Let's chase 'em!) After a couple of minutes, I was getting the crinkled forehead - one eyebrow raised - head tilted askance (as opposed to askew) look that I've come to recognize as the "Stop now. You're scaring me." look. (I always think of Spock raising one eyebrow while saying "Fascinating")

"Right. I'm babbling, aren't I?"

And I'm thinking, "Well, THIS is awkward. How do I extricate myself from this?" I'm having an internal debate on whether it's more awkward to just leave and go back to my cube, or more awkward to hang around for another little bit in the hopes that I'd say SOMETHING coherent (giving me an opening to leave gracefully). In the meantime, I'm still babbling. I'm stuck in a geekazoid loop with no off ramp in sight.

"Are you on drugs?" asks my coworker, coming to my rescue.

"No, and that probably explains a lot. Gotta go."

  • |